The city of Tarrafal has one of the few white sand beaches on the island, and certainly one of the most paradisiacal in the archipelago, in a bay surrounded by coconut trees.
The Penal Colony of Tarrafal, located in Chão Bom in the municipality of Tarrafal, was created by the Portuguese Government of the Estado Novo. The Tarrafal Concentration Camp, as it became known, began operating on October 29, 1936, with the arrival of the first prisoners. The political enemies of Salazar’s dictatorial regime were held here, with around 40 detainees having died. Campo do Tarrafal closed in 1954, having been reactivated in 1961, under the name of Campo do Chão Bom, to receive prisoners from the Portuguese colonies.
The Resistance Museum is part of the preservation and musealization project of the former Tarrafal Concentration Camp, with the long-term objective of declaring it a World Heritage Site.